Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Data Communications (Data Comm) User Information
The FAA's NextGen Data Comm program will allow the National Airspace System (NAS) to handle more traffic, reduce flight delays, route aircraft more efficiently and improve safety, all while reducing operational costs for airspace users.
In today's NAS, air traffic management depends on voice communications to relay a wide array of critical information between air crews and controllers. As a trusted partner of the FAA, Harris is lending its expertise to enhance safety and improve efficiency in the nation's airspace.
Air-to-Ground Data Communication: Making Air Traffic Control Modernization Possible
Data Comm will improve aviation safety by reducing errors common in voice communications such as readback/hearback errors, control instructions intended for one aircraft taken by another and transposed call signs.
Data Comm will increase airport efficiencies by providing revised departure clearances at busy hub airports, and it will make airspace safer and flight more efficient through capabilities such as trajectory-based operations, continuous descent approaches and dynamic weather reroutes.
Data Comm Deployment
- Data Comm CPDLC DCL Airport List
- U.S. Domestic En Route CPDLC Site Activation Map (updated 05/14/2020)
Data Comm Resources
- Recommended Avionics Versions (updated 01/20/2020)
- U.S. Domestic CPDLC DCL Pilot Guide
- U.S. Domestic CPDLC Flight and Route Planning Guide
- CPDLC Flight Plan Filing Guidance Quick Reference Card
- CPDLC DCL Demonstration Video
- Data Comm En Route CPDLC Operator Check List
- Pilot Handbook - U.S. Domestic En Route Controller Pilot Datalink Communication
- En Route CPDLC Logon Guidance
- CPDLC En Route Quick Reference Card for Pilots (iPad Friendly)
- Demonstration of US Domestic En Route CPDLC for Business Aviation
- Demonstration of US Domestic En Route CPDLC for Commercial Aviation
- NAS Data Communications Guide v9.0 (updated 1/23/2020)
- CPDLC End2End Description v1.6 (updated 1/23/2020)
- DCIT Schedule and Meeting Dates
- Operational Problem Reporting (OPR) Form