Space and Intelligence Systems
From protecting the security of our nation…to exploring the universe…to providing insights for better business decisions, L3Harris meets today’s most complex challenges with complete remote sensing and intelligence system solutions.
MISSION CONFIDENCE BEGINS WITH L3HARRIS
L3Harris delivers complete solutions for global situational awareness, space superiority and Earth insights. We provide the world’s most advanced sensors, payloads and communications technologies; receiving and information processing systems; and analytics that give our customers the integrated information and actionable intelligence they need for mission and business success.
This specialized expertise is based on more than 50 years’ experience in proven space and intelligence systems and in complex systems engineering design and integration. It is reinforced by the people we hire—teams of creative and committed engineers, scientists, and mission experts with deep mission and technical understanding. And it is advanced through our strong internal research and development program and customized, high-tech manufacturing capabilities, which enable us to explore and deliver innovative solutions for future mission needs, higher system performance, and small form factor platforms.
GLOBAL SITUATIONAL AWARENESS
In a world where threats can come from anywhere and at any time, L3Harris conceptualizes and engineers solutions for effective integrated intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations.
Every day, we push the boundaries of technologies used in space, in the air and on the ground for communications, navigation, and remote sensing. Our advanced data processing, analytics, and content management solutions turn data into information that our customers use to detect, analyze, predict and respond to events in hot spots around the world.
Harris has been engineering first-of-their-kind sensors, payloads, optics, and electronics that collect information needed by our customers for more than 50 years.
- We have the largest portfolio of imaging and radar sensors, and payloads needed for remote sensing in the aerospace and defense industry.
- We are the world’s leading provider of space antennas with more than 60 lightweight, mesh antennas on orbit.
- We are the world’s leading provider of hosted payloads with more than 150 on current and planned satellites.
- We are leading the development of sensor systems that deliver complete multi-intelligence (multi-INT) capabilities.
Applying new ideas and perspectives, Harris is developing game-changing technological breakthroughs with new components that deliver big capability with significantly decreased SWaP requirements and at lower costs for NewSpace missions.
- 3D manufacturing enables us to achieve 50% mass reduction for our Fixed-Mesh Reflector space antenna.
- We reduce delivery time for optics by 90% through innovative manufacturing processes.
- We have patented composite materials that produce telescopes that are 25% lighter than conventional telescopes.
- We manufacture high-detail, 1-meter imaging solutions for small satellites.
- We developed a 6-unit (6U) satellite platform, called HyperCube™ 3D Winds, that uses proven hyperspectral technology on a cubesat form factor to support affordable weather, water, and climate missions.
- We developed a multi-mission hosted payload architecture called Harris AppSTAR™ that enables simultaneous diverse missions in a single payload; on-orbit reprogrammability, and faster, more affordable access to space.
For nearly 40 years, Harris has been developing and managing ground systems that collect, process, and deliver remotely sensed data to solve our customers’ toughest mission challenges.
- We engineered and currently manage the enterprise ground system that controls the satellite, operates the instruments, and ingests, processes, and distributes the unprecedented data flow from NOAA’s newest generation weather satellite system, the GOES-R series.
- We are the leading provider of real-time, onboard, and on-the-ground processing and analytics for hyperspectral imaging.
- We developed machine learning capability that provides for automated object identification and detection.
- We are a leading producer of geospatial products for the National Geospatial-Intelligence agency (NGA).
Harris has been researching and developing positioning, navigation, and timing technologies for 40 years.
- Our expertise is at the core of GPS availability.
- Our technology has been on every GPS satellite ever launched (more than 70 GPS), accumulating more than 750 combined years of successful on-orbit operations.
- Our atomic clocks are the most accurate timekeeping system ever flown. More than 60 Harris-developed atomic clocks are flying on 20 GPS satellites.
L3Harris has been focused on the “high frontier” since the beginning of the Space Age. We help protect U.S. space assets and access to space by developing, modernizing and sustaining the ground-based radars and optical systems that find, fix and track objects in space. We ensure the delivery of critical information from those systems for effective battle management, command and control. Looking further into space, L3Harris’ optical systems, as part of the world’s most advanced telescopes and observatories, and related services enable scientists to gain a clearer picture and better understanding of the universe.
Harris is increasing the life of missile warning, missile defense, and space situational awareness assets through advanced sustainment engineering for the U.S. Air Force Space Command and U.S. Strategic Command SENSOR program.
- We provide sustainment engineering, mission engineering, mission analysis, and logistics support for seven unique systems in 12 locations worldwide.
- We are providing large-scale modernization efforts that keep legacy sensors “in the fight.”
- We provide award-winning logistics and depot support for life-cycle cost reductions.
- We have completed more than 1,200 projects that increase the life of this system of missile warning, missile defense, and space situational awareness sensors through advanced sustainment engineering.
Harris specializes in large precision optics and integration and testing services for deep-space observation programs. We have a 100-percent success rate for hundreds of programs, including the Chandra X-ray Observatory, Hobby-Eberly Telescope (HET), and Southern African Large Telescope (SALT).
- Today, we are working on the James Webb Space Telescope (Webb), Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), and Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) programs.
- Harris is advancing mankind’s understanding of the universe and origins of life by providing critical components for NASA’s ultra-powerful James Webb Space Telescope, which is scheduled to launch in 2019 and has a primary mirror that is 2.5x larger and 1,000x more sensitive than the Hubble Space Telescope.
- We are developing the near infrared spectrometer, which will measure the velocity of moving objects in deep space, their composition, and the rate of star formations.
- We are providing the complex integration and cryogenic testing of the primary optimal element.
- For LSST, Harris has developed our largest telescope optic to date. Our 3.5 meter secondary mirror and mirror cell assembly will help scientists explore the structure and evolution of the universe and the objects in it through one of this century’s most exciting astronomy projects*.
*This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Cooperative Agreement AST-1258333 issued to the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (“AURA”) for support of the LSST Project. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
L3Harris advances the technologies that capture, process and analyze information from every altitude to help our customers visualize Earth’s physical environment, improve weather forecasting and enhance environmental planning to save lives, protect property and enable mission and business success.
Organizations ranging from defense commands and civil government agencies to utilities and commercial businesses use our advanced geospatial tools and analytics, machine learning capabilities and remotely sensed data to make smarter decisions.
Our instruments, ground systems and analytics are providing weather and other environmental information with unmatched detail and at unprecedented speeds for faster, more accurate weather forecasting.
Harris has more than 30 years of experience developing scientifically proven geospatial solutions using cutting-edge technology. Today, organizations ranging from defense commands and civil government agencies to utilities and commercial businesses use our in-depth knowledge of advanced geospatial tools and analytics, machine learning, and remotely sensed data to make better decisions.
- Harris’ Geiger-mode LiDAR sensor, a first in the commercial marketplace, collects data 10x faster and at 10x greater resolution than traditional LiDAR sensors.
- With this tool, cities have more accurate 3D mapping information to build safer communities, electric utilities can better manage vegetation encroachment and utility assets, and emergency responders have access to products that help them effectively analyze infrastructure damage, map evacuation routes, and locate displaced populations needing medical and food supplies.
- When fully operational, exactView™ RT powered by Harris will, for the first time, deliver real-time, global ship tracking and information using a satellite constellation for automatic identification system services.
- Maritime shipping managers will know exactly where their fleet is located at every minute of every day.
- Other applications include persistent real-time monitoring for maritime security, search and rescue operations, port operations, and environmental protection.
- Harris’ geospatial off-the-shelf software and online services help you see the world differently.
- ENVI® is the world’s most advanced software tool for creating actionable information from remotely sensed data. It enables users to make more informed decisions by fusing multiple datasets from different sensors, including those collecting multispectral imagery, hyperspectral imagery, LiDAR data, and SAR (synthetic aperture radar) data.
- Jagwire™ is Harris’ web-based solution to rapidly process, discover, disseminate, and visualize multi-INT data from full-motion video, wide-area motion imagery, LiDAR, and other imagery phenomenologies.
- Harris' online marketplace provides users with access to the world’s premier satellite, aerial, elevation, vector, and LiDAR data.
For more than 50 years, Harris has advanced technologies and systems for collecting, receiving, and processing weather and other environmental information from remote sensing systems. Today our instruments, ground systems, and analytics are providing information with unmatched detail and at unprecedented speeds for faster, more accurate decision making.
- Harris provides the critical payload and enterprise ground system for NOAA’s GOES-R series weather satellite mission, which, when fully operational, will revolutionize weather forecasting with more accurate and reliable weather information to enhance every aspect of severe weather forecasting.
- Harris’ transformational Advanced Baseline Imager, the primary instrument on board the GOES-R series satellites, provides 3x more data at 4x greater spatial resolution and 5x faster than the previous GOES instrument.
- Harris developed the GOES-R Ground System, the enterprise-wide backbone that controls the satellite and operates the instruments, and is capable of ingesting several terabytes of data coming from the GOES satellites every day, processing it, and distributing it at unprecedented speed for near-real-time intelligence.
- Harris is also providing mission management capabilities for orbit analysis, mission planning and scheduling, and asset performance monitoring.